Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Journalist hate

A couple weeks ago I walked into a restaurant looking for someone to interview. It is well-known for it's horrible service, but the employee I approached was usually kind to me. As soon as I said I was a journalism student her attitude changed. When I tried to buy food later she was extremely rude, to the point I got the impression she wanted me to leave hungry.

Later that day I went to a rally a friend of mine was at. I was covering the story for a local newspaper. My friend went up and took the megaphone, then made some not very kind remarks about a "sort of journalist friend" he knew.

Why all the hate?

Reading "news articles" written by many of these people who so strongly hate journalists, it's clear they are as biased and one-sided as they think main stream media journalists are. I even read a comment on one article stating that journalism students are taught to write so as to twist stories and change minds.

I'm getting really tired of this. I try very hard to include multiple perspectives into my stories, but when people from one side won't speak to me because they think I'm against them, it's difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment