Friday, October 4, 2013

Papers dying, but still cared about

I went to Cinematheque to see The Tribe - Story of an Underdog Paper.

In August of 1980 The Tribune's last issue hit stands around Winnipeg. People were shocked.

Someone at the screening of the documentary yesterday said that today papers are folding across the county and such shock is no longer experienced.

Of some publications this is certainly true. I wouldn't be surprised if small community papers disappeared. It wouldn't faze me if some papers went digital and ditched their physical copies. But if larger papers folded all together I certainly would be shocked.

Last year the Winnipeg Free Press laid off several staff journalists. Many people were very surprised.

I imagine feelings would have been much stronger had the paper shut down altogether. Personally, I cannot imagine not being able to pick up a copy of the Free Press on the weekend or grab Winnipeg Metro on the way to school.

Sure, many papers are struggling. But many are still read and loved enough that they would be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment